Friday, July 24, 2009

Faith's bed







Amy,



You made me think about Faith's new bed as I was reading some of your old posts about adapted equipment, so I decided to post this! PS> See all the ladybug stuff, LOL!






So these pics were taken a few months ago, when we first built the bed. Anyway, we built this cool bed for Faith b/c she was outgrowing her crib. (Yes, she was still in the crib at 5+ years!) We didn't trust side rails and we wanted something that would be a permanant fix. So I had found this super cute twin post bed, yrs before Faith was born, at the flea mkt for $25. I had always wanted to use it for my baby sis' but never did. It was just collecting dust under the spare bed. So we put our heads together and enlisted my cousin's hubby for help to build it. We used laminated wood to make stacked sides that would drop down w/ heavy duty door hinges and slide locks on the posts. The bed started out weighing about 100lbs or so and now weighs prob. 400lbs! It's not going anywhere, I told my hubby that we would have to burn it down if we ever moved! We made taller ends, also, so she isn't going anywhere. So now she has a SAFE bed for as long as she is here in this house. We call it her BIG GIRL bed, and she is so proud of it. I didn't think she would know what that meant but she apparantly does! Including the cost of buying a new mattress and bedsprings it was about 250 bucks, not including the 25 for the original bed. We were very proud!









6 comments:

Christy said...

Thank you so much for sharing the story about the baby legs you made for your daughter! I'm a mother of a special needs child as well. Hope you'll post pictures of your finished product!

Keri said...

Oh my, I just love her big girl bed! It is awesome! I'd be very proud too.

Unknown said...

That is very clever!

We had to get out of the crib, because sometimes Eli needs me to lay down with him during night wakenings...and we needed a twin bed to do that of course! :)
I love his bed....you must have seen it, right?

Good job - love the ladybugs :)

Michelle said...

Hi, found your post through Amy's blog. I LOVE the bed! Wow, very creative.
Michelle & girls in WA

Jennifer Ortiz said...

I love her bed, I sent the link to my husband to see if he could make something similar!

Katy said...

So cute! And really, a great idea. I don't think I could get my husband to build anything for me. He'd spend five years just making a plan:)