Sunday, March 7, 2010

March seventh, 1998

That was the day....
The day that we finally said "I do"....
We were both twenty years old, had been together for almost four years, since our sophomore year in high school.
(more on that next month)

We had a date set in June but we were so tired of waiting....
So on the spur of the moment we put together our wedding with two weeks notice!
(Good thing we had already been planning...)

The perfect time of year for my favorite...
DAFFODILS AND IRISES.....
My best friend asked her preacher, Preacher Vaughn, if he would marry us...
Of course, he had been my grandmother's "den father" when his son was in her third grade class...
We collected daffodils out of every neighbor's and friend's yard for 30 miles and had two little old ladies arrange our bouquets.
Then we cut Yellow Bells to mix with the daffs and iris' and my best friend, Tomi, and I decorated the church with thousands of yellow flowers.

Carl's family got together to plan food...we had fruit, cheese trays, little sandwiches, vegetables and other lovely dishes. My other close friend's mother agreed to make our wedding cake.
Believe me it would have fed two hundred people when we only had about fifty! It was a white basket weave design. Simple and elegant and we sprinkled yellow rose petals all over it.

My friend, Tomi, arranged the music and organized everyone for us and my sister and my other close friend were my bride's maids, they wore vintage yellow dresses from the thrift store! We had Enya's "China Roses" play during the ceremony.
One of Carl's close friends carried a rose for Carl's mom (she passed when he was 15) to put on the front row where she would have sat.

My grandmother (Bamboo) and my dad walked me down the aisle. I was so happy to have her by my side. Carl waited for me at the front of the church and I remember I didn't want to walk down because I hate to have people starring at me. I just wanted it to be done so I wasn't being starred at! LOL!
The preacher spoke the words....said the prayers....and pronounced us.....
Finally,

The Hudson's.
It was such a happy day...friends, family and each other. Celebrating even with rain that day!
I remember thinking that this was all I wanted, in my life, was him.

To be HIS wife...to leave my family name behind.
We drove to Wilmington, the next day, to start our new lives there. Then from there, three days in the Outer Banks, our favorite place on Earth.
When I look at photos from that day, I think about how naive we were. So young and carefree... BUT I would never change anything. Best friends we have been since the beginning. Closer than most, we both knew that we were meant for each other. Still feel that way after twelve years...
I love you, honey! You are a wonderful husband! You provide for me and for Faith, you are devoted and loving and the best darn guy any girl could ask for...

15 comments:

Jen said...

I got married in 1998 too! Faith is the image of you in that first photograph, the resemblance is very striking:) Jen.

The Henrys said...

Happy anniversary! May you have many, many more years of happiness together!

my life: said...

Happiest Anniversary!
Oh my goodness...you inspire me to share our wedding story, in May perhaps. ;0)
We too drove off to Wilmington *not for the same reason* and the outer banks is OUR all time favorite place to vacation. In fact...we may be headed there this spring! woo-hoo :0)
Jen is right...the first thing I saw was Faith...when I looked at that first photo.

April said...

1998 is our year too! Thanks for sharing your special day!

Janet said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful wedding story. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Carla said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!
Your last few posts have left me all teary eyed- in a good way! Your wedding sounds so much like mine:) Best wishes for many many many more happy years together:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your happiness! I feel like I got to share in the happiness of your wedding day, too.

We are very happy, too, working on our 24th year now.

Barbara

Mo said...

Yay...Happy Anniverary!
And I agree with Jen above, Faith does look like you in that picture, a lot!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

How cute!!!!!! I had Emily in 1998! I am old, lol!

Candace said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and for saying that you see Faith in my picture. Personally, I don't think Faith looks anything like me...is she really mine? All I see is Carl with those lush lips and thick eyebrows and chocolate colored eyes. But it's nice to hear some people say that...makes me proud!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Thanks for the comment today, I am glad you posted something because I went back and read my post. I caught all my grammar issues, you can tell I was working, and typing, ha! I will find out more on my health on 3/18 :)

Beverly said...

Happy Anniversary!!! lovely photos and story!

jocalyn said...

Happy Anniversary! I CANT WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT THE CONCERT!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!

Beautiful pictures....I love seeing people's wedding photos!

Katy said...

What sweet story! I was less wild about taking my Hubby's name--too hard to pronounce. Took me six months to get all the official paperwork done.