Monday, June 7, 2010

Some unbelievable news and 200....

OK my lovely friends out there in bloggie land! I am pretty sure I have some lurkers out there and after this post I sure hope that you will take some time to leave me a comment! First off, today is my two hundredth post, and I am exactly one month away from an anniversary of my blog. I know, I know, sooooo exciting!
Here is the big news! Drum rolls, please...
dum, dum, dum, dum, dum...
TODAY, FAITH STOOD UP!
YES, FOLKS, SHE STOOD UP!
She has been able to stand if someone put her into stand in her walker or held her up but she has never been able dissociate her legs, lift a leg into kneel and then stand up!
TODAY SHE DID...
with a little assistance in the form of a chair and a therapist to help her keep her balance. BUT, she did all the work! After six and a half years, I had almost resigned that she would never gain that skill, that we would always have to put her in those positions.
But once again, she proved me wrong!


It all started with her OT, trying to introduce some simple yoga moves and for some weird reason she seemed to pick right up on them, attempting about six moves! So she went with it and pulled out her yoga book. Her OT was performing the moves then saying "Faith do it" and she would try. So eventually, it came to a chair and a kneeling position. So D. did it and when it came to Faith's turn she sat on the chair to keep it upright and low and behold...
SHE DID IT, but she kept going into a stand!
(These pics are the actual first time standing for Faith, some aren't so good but I had to show you all anyway!)

Needless to say, we danced, we screamed, we cried, we acted like a bunch of fools as we celebrated a HUGE milestone that was a LONG time coming!

So, then she decided to get smart with us and attempt it using the tripod leg!
Little Miss Smarty Pants did it, with D. supporting her!




I felt like the Heavens were opening up and a chorus of angels were descending on our little therapy room! She did it, folks!


Today was a wonderful day for many reasons besides this amazing new skill but it would take me all night to write about it! Another post, another day.


Upon arrival at home, after a long day out, she went scooting over to her little wagon walker and I saw her trying to lift her leg up to a kneel position. She got to it a few times but both times she lost her balance and fell over but she wasn't about to stop! So she came walking on her knees over to me and lifted her leg, I slowly put out one finger to offer her some support and she reached out...
took my finger and
STOOD UP!
I almost fainted right on the spot! She did it three more times before she got too tired and started whining like she was in some pain. So we stopped. I tell you, friends, there was no momma more happy or proud or amazed or joyous than me, today! Six years, people, we waited for this! SIX YEARS! Oh and one more small miracle, she crawled reciprocally today in therapy too, for the first time! She always has bunny hopped, but today, she was rockin' it and decided to start moving her legs and hands in the proper fashion! She was so proud of herself, re doing it over and over again to practice! Just when I try to accept how things are for her, she always knocks my socks off! What a day for a two hundred post! I will be posting a few more awesome things that happened today, in the next few days. Lots of good stuff!
Off to dance myself to bed and dream sweet dreams of my girl, running through a field of wildflowers!


21 comments:

Jen said...

I have been one of those "lurkers" and I must say I have shed tears of joy many a time when Faith has done something new. She's truly a miracle.

Sherry C said...

What a milestone, I'm totally impressed what an accomplishment. I loved the pictures and her determination to keep trying again and again once she got home. I'm so happy for you and Faith!!! Fabulous news don't you love how she surprises you. Sounds like she has a great therapist.

Junior said...

Way to go Faith, you are amazing.
A huge milestone, we are here doing that happy dance with you.

Coley said...

Omg, Candace! I have been there for moments like this and aren't they truly amazing. My eyes filled w/ tears reading your words because I know what a moment this was!!!!!

Way to go Faith!!!

Beverly said...

oh my, this is so awesome Candace!!! So very happy for you and Faith, she is so awesome! all the hard work has paid off!!! Congrats!!!! love these times!!!!! so, so very happy!!!! smiling over here!

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy, happy for you!


Big smile, too!


Barbara

Katy said...

How sweet that victory must be. I love seeing Faith accomplishing so much at age six--makes me so hopeful for the future. Keep sharing, Candace!

T said...

Waheyy!
Way to go Faith - you little superstar!!

The Henrys said...

Wow, that is incredible!! How wonderful that you were able to capture these moments in pictures!

Good job Faith!

my life: said...

How is it...that I can cry, looking at a computer screen, feeling such joy...for a family I will most likely never physically touch?
I am so crying with you! Way to go Faith!!!

*I am nearly positive that my family wonders if I have lost it sometimes!* ;0)

Jen said...

I am thrilled and stunned and excited and oh wow, how amazing is that. Delighted that you got photos and we could all join in the excitement. Woohoo :D Jen.

Mo said...

Let me say that not only is Faith half kneeling to stand but that half kneeling to stand is VERY hard to do for these kiddos. No doubt that this is a blessing and one first will lead to yet another. I am feel great joy for you and your family...awesome accomplishment!! Hugs!

Trish said...

Way to go to both Faith and Mama - what an amazing achievement! Nothing can stop her now. :)

Territory Mom said...

I'm so happy for you guys, I need a big box of tissues. Truly a miracle. Living with Faith helps renew my faith, thank you.

Janet said...

Wow! Way to go Faith! I love how she practiced at home all by herself. Soooo cool! She is such an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing.

Meghan said...

I can imagine the electricity of the moment, and how it changes everything from this day forward - what joy! Sometimes I feel afraid to hope for such things for my son, but your story is inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us lurkers!

Anonymous said...

I have been a lurker for quite some time now. I love your blog!! Faith reminds me so much if my daughter, Abigail Grace. This post brought tears to my eyes. Please keep sharing! Way to go Faith!!!!

Monica

Jo said...

Faith, your name says it all. You are awesome, honey! I'm so proud of you.

Emma said...

hi i am a lurker - i found your page a week or two ago i am so happy for faith and yourself. you should both be very proud. all the hard work is paying off!

Alicia said...

I meant to comment yesterday but got sidetracked, sorry! That being said...

WOO HOO!! HIP HOP HOORAY!! CONGRATULATIONS ON ALL YOUR HARD WORK, FAITH!!

I am so happy for you both! What an accomplishment and proof of hard work and determination, on both your parts.

Hugs...

Kristina said...

SOOOOOO Exciting! Congrats to Faith and you for all the hard work put in to have this great accomplishment!