Thursday, January 14, 2010

Our life line...






This is Faith's medical notebook. In here, is her life.... schedules, medical records, phone numbers and addresses, appointments, documentations, lab results, shot records, diagnosis lists, research on her conditions, research on doctors she sees/has seen, evaluations, therapy notes and IFSP's. After she was born, I began to realize that a simple calender in my purse was NOT enough! So I began working on a notebook that I could carry with us, everywhere. Over the years it has evolved and a few years ago I found a binder with a carry strap that fits over my shoulder. This is our lifeline! We go everywhere with this notebook. I usually change out everything once a year and update everything as well as keeping any important older info. I used to buy those expensive calenders to go in it for like ten bucks. But this Christmas I found a great cheap alternative at Big Lots for a dollar fifty. A spiral bound notebook with 26 blank monthly calenders so I can fill them in as I need them. I keep a pencil pocket for business cards, in the front and an accordion file for things that don't fit in the tabs. It always surprises doctors when they say they didn't receive a document from another office and I whip it out of the notebook. It's really a running joke in most offices. Office staff know it well and at our peds office they all brag about it to other parents. When Faith had a seizure at the office, last week, I left it at the front desk, while they called trying to get an appointment for us. The girl at the desk knew just where to go and filled in the appointment for me! This is probably the single most important piece of equipment that we use in our lives. When I change everything over, I just file away or box up the old records. If you don't have something like this, I highly recommend making one! They are INVALUABLE!






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You.are.amazing.

Some parents do a form of this, but you show how to do it really well! I agree - the most important piece of 'equipment'.

Barbara

Ellen Seidman said...

WOW, impressive! I have this massive binder o' records which is kind of a mess that I need to organize. You've inspired me! And you are one of the blogs I read but don't always comment on, please accept my apologies today on National Delurking Day!!! I typically read from my Treo and I can't get in and leave comments on that.

Katy said...

Awesome! I think this is a great idea and honestly could have done with a bunch more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

I do the same thing with a binder. It goes with us everywhere & like yours it contains everything! I love the idea of a bag that holds everything, I'm going to have to find one.

Jen said...

Love it, great idea. Thank you for the pics:) Jen.

The Henrys said...

We can't live without our folders either. I start a new one as the new school year starts.

One thing I can't stand is going to one doctor and hearing that they didn't get a report from the other doctor. It is a waste of time and I always try to have all of the reports ready to go everywhere.

I like your binder and how it has the phone numbers and calendar. I keep those seperate, but now I am thinking that I should add them to one binder.

Thanks for sharing, you have given me ideas!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and, backup copies!

Barbara

April said...

What a great idea! I should put something like that together! Thanks for the tip!