Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day....

Happy Mother's Day to all my bloggie friends out there....
Each and every one of you are rock stars!

In honor of Mother's day, I thought I would tell you all about Mother's Day 2003.

I was 25 years old. Carl and I had spent the day in Asheville NC, visiting some of our favorite haunts. We had plans to take my grandmother out for Mother's day that evening, so on our way home we stopped at a local roadside greenhouse and picked out this beautiful yellow rose bush for her. On the way home, I had slept the entire hour and a half until we stopped. When we stopped Carl commented about how tired I had been for a few weeks and how he had noticed that I seemed "bustier" than usual ; )!
Thanks, honey.

On the rest of the ride home his comments kept running thru my head. No...
couldn't be. No.
When we got to my grandmother's house I made up a dumb excuse that I needed to run to Walmart for a card. Once inside I made my way to the pharmacy dept and bought 6.....
TESTS...

I covered them up with some candy and a few other odds and ends and made my purchase.
Once back at my grandmother's I did the test.
POSITIVE.
NO....I drank about 3 glasses of water and did another....
POSITIVE.
We went to dinner, I said nothing but drank about a pitcher of water and made up another excuse about the bathroom and did another, right in the restaurant.
POSITIVE.
When we got home, another test.
POSITIVE.

By now, I was pretty sure something was up. So I packed up all my boxes and cried my eyes out for a while at the local park by my grandmother's house. Finally I decided I had to tell Carl but I was so afraid he would be upset.
We both always said we didn't want kids.
The only thing I could think to do was go down to the lake and sit on the dock.
The words would not come to me....
I sat for about half an hour before I finally opened my purse and dumped out all the boxes and tests on the dock.

Carl was speechless...
He picked up each one and looked at them all. Finally he said "does this mean we are having a baby?" I still couldn't speak, I just cried. He jumped up and started hugging me and crying too! He was so happy!
That night I took another test...
You know...just to be sure. And the next morning, I left work before the store opened and had another test at the doctor's office.
POSITIVE.
The nurse laughed her head off at me, when she heard I had taken over 6 tests!

So this is how we found out about FAITH.
On Mother's Day...

This rose bush was planted at my grandmother's house, that night. A night that we will never forget. When my grandmother died, 7 weeks before Faith was born, I went and dug it up and moved it to our house. Then when we built our new house, it made the move with me, again. Every year, it blooms within a day or two of mother's day and this year is no exception. I found this beautiful bloom, yesterday night!
Every year, it is a symbolic reminder of my first mother's day. And a reminder of how life can flourish even when things change.
BEAUTIFUL!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, EVERY ONE!

9 comments:

Mo said...

Very sweet. I, too, took about 5 tests to realize that yes, I was pregnant. Learning you are expecting for the first time is a very surreal feeling...

Happy Mommy's Day, Friend!

April said...

Oh that post made me teary and happy all at the same time! What a special mother's day! A yellow rose is a perfect reminder of the very first chapter in Faith's story :)

Katy said...

Goodness. That made me all weepy! Great story, Candace.

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Wonderful story, happy mothers day

Jen said...

Thats a lovely story, what a memorable Mothers Day that was:) Happy Mothers Day Candace:) Jen.

BusyLizzyMom said...

I can't believe you took 6 pregnancy tests, they are not cheap. What a wonderful Mother's day gift.
Wishing you a Happy Mothers day.

Sherry C said...

Beautiful story thanks for sharing. I hope you had a great day. Good luck this week I hope it goes well.

Beverly said...

what a beautiful story. love it. happy you have the rose bush with you always. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day

Alicia said...

Such a beautiful Mother's Day story. Thanks for sharing. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, you deserve it. YOU are a rock star!