Sunday, May 2, 2010

Treating our kids special....

Wonderful Ellen, had a post yesterday about people NOT treating Max special because he had a stroke. It's a great post and in many ways, I feel the same. But I wanted to add a few things about my perspective....
Don't treat her special by giving her anything she wants.
Don't treat her special by not calling her out if she misbehaves.
Don't treat her special by talking over her...like she can't understand you.
Don't treat her special by pitying her, this girl is happier than most and you can't pity that!

BUT...
Treat my daughter special because she is!

Look at her as a living miracle and take what you can from learning about Faith
(not her name but the word....faith)

My daughter is special because she was made this way to teach people to be thankful for God's infinite wisdom and love to HIS children. She is one of those children who
"SPEAKS" to you without having to say a single thing!
When people meet her...they usually say things like...

"What a blessing she is"
"What a good girl she is"
"She truly is a miracle"
GOD made Faith the way she is for a very special reason and I DO want people to take that into account when they meet her!
I want them to see her for the miracle she is...
I don't want ONE person to ever meet Faith and go away without being

TOUCHED BY GOD'S LOVE......

11 comments:

my life: said...

I'm trying to get past the "if she misbehaves" part. ;0)
I just don't see her doing much of that. :0)
I haven't read the other's post yet...I will head there now, but I agree completely with what you said! :0)

The Henrys said...

I so agree! This is perfect!

Mo said...

What a wonderful piggy-back to Ellen's post! You filled in the exact same gaps I felt after I read her post too. I really do think you and I are living parallel lives, or at least think the same way...crazy!

Junior said...

Perfect, I feel exactly the same way.

Jen said...

So true :) Very well said Candace :D Jen.

Anonymous said...

Knowing Faith through your blog has touched me and reinforced God's love to me. Barbara

Katy said...

Some excellent points, Candace. Well put!

Ellen Seidman said...

Nicely said, Candace!! And, I am so excited you guys got the iPad, I think we're doing it! I will definitely try the Tap2Learn, didn't know there was a free program out there.

Cary said...

I completely agree! And feel the same way about my Ben! Good job.

Candace said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words....
Just a note for anyone who reads this...
The TapToTalk program is actually a program that was designed for the NintendoDs gaming systems as an AAC program. It is very similar to the Proloquo2Go program but you can use it on the Nintendos VERY COOL! But they have a free version for the Ipad...basic....but a good starting point! Will blog more about it soon!

Sherry C said...

such a Beautiful post.. I can't wait hear about TapToTalk too.