Monday, March 15, 2010

Kindness and Strangers....

A funny thing happened to us on Saturday, at a cookie booth sale. We were battling wind and threatening skies and even some hail...trying to decide if we should wait it out or head home. We finally decided to pack up when this lady comes running out to us, from her car. She says "Who are the parents of that little girl in the wheel chair?" A mom points Carl and I out and she comes running over to us, like she was running a race. She says "May I give your little girl this baby doll? I have been keeping this doll for the first little girl I saw in a wheelchair, for three years! I saw her on the side of the road and I ran home and got it out of the closet." I was shocked and certainly touched and of course, let her give it to Faith. She went on to tell us that she had found this doll at Toy R Us and felt compelled to buy this doll but had NOT ONE TIME since seen a little girl in a wheelchair, until Saturday!
She kept stroking Faith's hair saying "You are one of God's angels on Earth, so precious!" She had tears in her eyes and was deeply touched to hear a little of Faith's story. We asked to take her picture with Faith so we could remember her and tell Faith about her when she can understand.
In case you can't tell the doll is a Barbie in a wheelchair!
(Not that I am a fan of Barbie, Faith doesn't own one!
But I had to make an exception just this once.)
Faith has thoroughly abused the doll and wrecked her hair, drooled all over her clothes, and pulled stickers off the wheelchair. But she had most defiantly enjoyed it!
I have honestly met the most amazing people since Faith arrived on Earth. We always run into people who are drawn to her for some unexplained reason. They just feel compelled to get to know her. It is amazing!

8 comments:

Keri said...

Love that you captured a picture to cherish the moment. I just love hearing these stories. So glad Faith enjoyed her very first Barbie! Cool.

Mo said...

How awesome it THAT!?!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely worth the exception!

Barbara

Katy said...

I'm with Barbara--totally worth the exception! Imagine her heart--buying that doll for some little girl she hadn't met yet.

Junior said...

a wonderful story

Jen said...

That is lovely. I love to hear of random acts of kindness, they are so rare these days and it always lifts my spirits to hear of them:) Jen.

Janet said...

That is just too sweet. :)

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Well I am all teary.......sniff, how touching