Monday, April 5, 2010

IPAD.....FAITH IS IN LOVE....AND SO AM I!

WOW...
Today, we finally got our hands on a demo Ipad at our local university Apple store!
I didn't even know there was such a place until last week!

Faith was instantly in L-O-V-E with this cool toy/device/(hopeful communication tool)
It is pretty lightweight, compared to other aug. comm devices we have tried (about 1 1/2 lbs). The pictures are crystal clear and incredibly fast! Much faster than our laptop, here at home, with DSL.

We didn't get to play with any of the apps we are interested in but there was plenty to enjoy. Faith preferred the photo galleries (she is VERY visually stimulated, even with her vision issues)
She could move the screen pretty well with just a little practice and was so proud of herself when she scrolled through the pictures!
I know that Proloquo2Go has updated it's program to run better on the Ipad, with larger pics. So we are looking forward to getting our hands on our own device. We had pretty much already made up our minds to purchase this tool, but when I got to see her playing with it, I was SOLD!

We played a few animal youTube videos, which were fantastic, fast and crystal clear!

She seemed to do better, holding it in this position, but I think that the horizontal way will be better for her to see and use. I know, for sure, that we will have to have a platform to put it on her wheelchair. I have been investigating several varieties that may work...one of them was the Ram-Mount tough tray tablet holder.
I know there has been mixed reviews about the Ipad but for what we are looking for....it seems like the BEST option. No papers or PECS symbols or bulky recording devices. We are going to meet with our aug. comm therapist tomorrow to discuss putting this thing to work for her. Luckily, I made friends with the college Apple Rep, who was super nice, and he gave me his card to call them today, to be sure it was in. I called and he said they weren't busy and it was a perfect time to come down. It did get busy while we were in there but we got to play with it as long as I wanted (about an hour!). It was so much fun and I felt so guilty when we had to put it back and leave and little Faith started crying. But we can wait a few more weeks.....
I HOPE!

7 comments:

jocalyn said...

That is SOOOO awesome!

Beverly said...

cool! I am thinking of getting one for me and Noah too. we have the itouch but I think this would be great for him too. he has a hard time with the a mouse.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!

The Henrys said...

I am impressed that she liked it that much!
Is she using a PECS system now? or a device?
I am really interested in getting this for Gracie, but I'm not sure how she would do with it. We have never tried a device, only PECS systems.
Keep me updated after you get one!

Jen said...

I can't wait to try the iPad myself, I don't think it is out here yet. It looks fab :D Jen.

Anonymous said...

Try a trabasack, low cost soft and convenient mounting solution. Its a bean bag lap tray and a bag.

http//www.trabasack.com

Junior said...

That is awesome. I can't wait to get one for Junior.
Apple loaned his teacher one for a month so she can test it out with her homebound students. I am so totally impressed with it.