Thursday, February 25, 2010

I NEED A SIGN.....

I have something exciting to report......
WE are going out!
On a real date!
I haven't talked a lot about this issue here on my blog but I thought it was a good time to bring it up. Any of you with special kids out there knows that it is difficult, to say the least, to go out and leave the kids behind. For me, it is down right painful. Really painful is not even the word. I have such a hard time dealing with leaving Faith that we have only done it maybe 4 or 5 times.......EVER!
Ever....you say....yes EVER! In six years! It is so hard for me.....I would rather do anything than leave her behind. I feel like it is such a big responsibility to ask someone to watch Faith, she is so high maintenance and with her seizures, most people are....well.....intimidated. Not to mention, that I feel incredibly guilty if I leave her, like if something happened I could NEVER live with myself, if I wasn't there for her. You can only write down so many "what if's...." for a babysitter!
Carl is not nearly so bad as me. He thinks we should be able to leave her with various relatives including grandparents. HE HAS NO IDEA! LOL!
I know I am really BAD. I know I should be able to leave her for a few hours but it is almost physically painful for me to do it. I worry, I sweat, I make up crazy things that might happen, I feel guilty, I cry, I just can't handle it!
BUT I am going to go, this time! Really there's no backing out! Carl's sister agreed to take on our girl for an evening so we can go see....
TRAIN!
Only my favorite band in the world! They are coming to Greenville two days after our twelfth anniversary and this is my anniversary present! I am excited, I am thrilled, I am ecstatic, I am on cloud nine! I am also very nervous and feeling quite guilty! BUT I can't change my mind...the tickets are non refundable!
So wish us luck! I am starting my list of "what if's", today. Carl's sister has sat for us two other times, so she has a small idea of what to expect.
So here we go....

9 comments:

The Henrys said...

This is a huge step for you! You will be so glad that you did this!

Maybe you could have your sister in law come over to your house just to hang out with you and Faith. Ask her to do everything to care for Faith while you just watch, or get some laundry done or something. This way you can see with your own two eyes just how she can handle Faith. You will know that she is in good hands and you can remember that every time you start to panic. Explain to your sister in law that this is for you to feel better and not that you are testing her.

Also, think of this as something good for Faith too. You get to bond with your husband, which is good for her as well. You get time to do something fun, and when you come back you will feel energized, and that will be good for her too.

This is also a chance for Faith to spread her wings a little bit and for her to interact with someone and be social.

It always helps me to not feel guilty when I look at how good it is for Gracie!

Keep us updated!

Jen said...

Oh I understand exactly what you mean. Really the only people who I feel comfortable leaving my children with is my parents. They live several hours away which means we don't do it often. I hope you have a fabulous time, really I do. I know you will be relieved (in a way) to get home to Faith afterwards, but I hope you can take a mental time out, even just a short one:) Jen.

Katy said...

You are SO FUNNY! I'm glad you're going to hear Train--they're great! Faith will be fine and if she isn't--your SIL will call you! I won't tell you how much I leave Charlie with epople--you might faint right on the spot.

Tara Bennett said...

Wow, Candace, that is amazing!!! I'm so happy for you (and a little jealous)! You deserve it :) Go, have FUN!!!

Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

We are very lucky and live next door to my amazing parents. My in-law's don't live far. We leave Chloe with them each about once a week. Usually it's just so I can clean or catch up on sleep, but we make dates happen quite a bit as well. Getting away as a couple is so important! Hopefully this will help you feel okay with it so you can go out more :)

Mo said...

ENJOY!! (But I do know it's hard to leave!)

Knowledge Safari said...

So happy for you! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Also, you might like the giveaway on our site www.knowledgesafari.com

April said...

Oh I am SO tickled for you! Have so much fun! Faith will be in great hands, and maybe you'll even get to hold your hubbie's hand ;)

Lisa said...

I am so glad that you are going on a date! I know it's hard to leave, but Good for you!

Beverly said...

so happy for you. I am the exact way as you. we have only been on one date in over 8 years. UGH! we both hate not having him with us but some times it would be so nice.