Monday, February 8, 2010

Pool therapy...not for the faint of heart!

Faith showing off her new snaggle tooth look..
These are the words that I saw written on the YMCA board outside, today...
"Give and it will be given to you....Luke 6:38"
Pretty ironic, considering our experience inside at pool therapy, today.
When we came in, the lifeguards had roped off half of the therapy pool, crosswise, for swimming lessons, telling our therapist that she had to stay on the other side.The pool has a long step platform on one side that our PT uses for Faith to stand while in the pool. So they roped off that side so that the only place we could go was on the steps. Faith's PT was trying to work with her by standing her on an upside down plastic box but the kids in swim class were splashing and making a ruckus. Then there was a family with two kids who kept jumping in the pool, right next to Faith and they kept taking all the therapy toys.

The lifeguards are supposed to keep an eye on the kids and keep them out of the therapy area but they were all too busy trying to impress the girl lifeguard working in the pool. This has started to become a big problem for the therapists on pool days. The Y is starting to try to make our therapy center pay to use to pool (when the hospital originally owned the property that the Y was built on and donated it with a promise to be able to use it for therapy) It's kind of like they are trying to push us out. They recently started charging the parents (with special needs children) who get in the pool to help with their children! Very frustrating for everyone involved. A place supposedly founded on Christian beliefs, trying to get rid of a place that provided desperately needed therapy to special needs children! I finally got so upset at the lack of attention being paid, I got up and went over to the lifeguards (who were busy posing for each other, looking like Abercrombie models) and said "I guess I will come over here and keep an eye out since no one else will!" I stood there with my arms crossed and glared at everyone for a good ten minutes. All the while not a word was said to me nor did anyone do anything different! I was fuming...

"Give and it will be given to you...." Maybe they need to read their own sign!

6 comments:

Beverly said...

yikes. not good work by the life guards. wish we had swim therapy near us. we just do swim lessons.

The Henrys said...

Wow, what an awful time. I'm not sure what advice I could give you on this one since it sounds like they really want to make the hospital pay, or just leave. I'm sorry that this is happening to you and Faith!

I had an experience with the lifeguards at our public school pool. Caleb was 5 or 6 and was swimming with a high school swim buddy through a summer time rec program. I wasn't comfortable leaving him there, so I sat in the bleachers and watched and read a book. I looked down and Caleb was under the water, thrashing around. I screamed at the lifeguards but they couldn't hear me because they had their music up so loud. I started running down there but a man who was swimming got him out. When I said something to the lifeguards (two teenage girls) they gave me attitude! We don't go swimming there anymore, we drive to the next town.

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Ugh, I am so sorry!! Em went to a local swim school that also did therapy. At 5 she contracted a viral parasite from the water, and it was a really well known school. Just lack of care all around. So sorry.

Jen said...

I would have been fuming too, tbh. This seems to be the way it is for parents of SN kids, rarely do we experience situations where people 'get it' unless they are therapists or other parents of SN kids. All you needed was a little bit of space and respect, it isn't a lot to ask for, really it is not! I hope Faith wasn't upset by all the carry on. Jen.

jocalyn said...

I'm kind of a fan (especially when it comes to teenagers) of making friends with them for my own personal gain! Be the cool mom and try asking for their help.

Errr, if that doesn't work, make a stink!

But whatever you do...don't give up! I'm sure you won't!

And that is one cuuuute little girl in one cuuuuute swimsuit!

Jo said...

I'm fuming just reading this. I can't believe the Y would have the audacity to try to charge the hospital for the use of something they donated!
Pool therapy can be great for kids with CP and other special needs. Monkey Boy had it for about a year starting when he was 18 months old, and it did him a world of good. I hope you keep fighting the rude people at the Y so Faith can take full advantage of the therapy.
Meanwhile, how cute is she in her bathing suit and holding her little baby? What a doll!