Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gastrocs Release....




So we are finally home and trying to find a new routine with life in double casts and knee immobilizers up to "our" armpits! Faith has done really well since her surgery. We had a FANTASTIC anesthesiologist, who worked really hard to find a concoction that would keep her from her prolific vomiting, after surgery. It was an astounding success! Her surgery, itself, went great. They were able to lengthen all the muscles that they had planned except for one on her right leg. But it was cool b/c they cut this muscle and actually attached it to another one, close by. It wasn't something we had discussed beforehand, I didn't even know they could do that! Forgive my stupidity, I just never even considered that. How you can take one muscle that is extraordinarily tight and cut it, then stick it to another muscle that does something completely different and then they both work!!!????!!!>>> CRAZY.......
We got to see copies of her xrays of both feet before and after surgery. It was AMAZING! The before shots showed TONS of misaligned bones in her foot and ankle areas. Some were going in completely different directions, some were smashed together, some were almost upside down. The after surgery xrays were astounding! They weren't perfect BUT they were about 85% better! Most of the bones were much closer to the right positions and all were better aligned! I don't know tons about the bones in the foot but even I could clearly see a dramatic difference! It is so exciting and I am so hopeful that this will help her walk~!
So she got out earlier than expected and I will have to post more about our experience while at the hospital. (Don't worry, it was remarkably great!~) Now we just have to learn how to carry this kid (she's basically like a long, flat piece of wood that is too long to fit through a doorway! LOL!) We did get our hands on a reclining wheelchair with elevating leg rests after MUCH work and DAYS of tracking! It's way too big but we made it work. So now I REALLY NEED A MINIVAN or wait..... a 15 passenger van. ARRRRGGGGGG.... I am soooooo embarrassed that I am admitting that!!!! LOL~!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you don't ALREADY have a mini-van!!

It will be the best decision you ever make in your life. Every friend I have who fought it for years......and finally gets one say the same thing! "Why did I wait? These are awesome!"

:)

Eli's like a board most of the time....it's not fun sometimes.
Good luck getting through it all...I hope it's super duper successful for her!!! :)

Amy

BusyLizzyMom said...

Glad to hear she is doing well, she looks pretty happy despite some pretty painful surgeries. I can't even imagine how hard it is to carry her and have her seated and comfortable withher big braces on.

Anonymous said...

I am sympathetic, too, for the difficulty of moving around in her current condition. But I am encouraged by all your good news, too. And that 'board-girl' will soon become 'standing-girl'. Her smile is the best! Barbara

Katy said...

Well, she sure seems like she's doing pretty well!

I'm surprised you dont' have some sort of van myself--I keep warning Hubby that we have a mini-van in our future although so far he's still sticking his fingers in his ears and humming a tune--he is NOT a fan of mini vans.

Beverly said...

glad things are going well. Faith is so beautiful, love those photos