Sunday, October 18, 2009

A great book for all you out there with kids with seizures

I have recently discovered a great program that I just had to tell you all about. In South Carolina we have a lending library at the USC School of Medicine Center for Disability Resource Library in Columbia, SC. http://uscm.med.edu/CDR/ . This program lends out books, videos, research and children's books to anyone interested in disabilities, special needs or other medical problems. You can visit their website and choose the books you want to borrow. Anyone in the country can borrow from them. If you live outside of SC, they will ship the books to you but you are responsible for the return shipping. I just got my first box this week, five big books and the shipping was 4 bucks. In SC, residents can borrow books and the library sends a return postage mailer sticker, so you don't have to pay to send the books back. Anyway, it's a fantastic resource for all of us out there who may need access to specific, detailed medical info about our children that you can't find most places. They have books on most all medical subjects on disabilities.
I borrowed a bunch on CP, some kids disability books and a book on seizures in children. Now I highly recommend this book to anyone whose child has seizures. It's called Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood A Guide by Freeman, Vining and Pillas. This is the first book on pediatric epilepsy that I have read and it is very informative. Although it was published in 2001, it is not dated and has tremendous info for parents like us. They discuss meds, surgeries, parenting and other relevant topics. I read this book in about 3 days and have felt so much better since I did. I am so excited about this program b/c we have such limited resources where we live and I can't keep buying books brand new. Check it out, if you can!

Added note: I did some looking around and alot of other states have disability resource libraries. If you go to the website I listed at the top you will be taken to their home page. Scroll down to the bottom and there is a link to find other libraries. You should definatly look into it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is excellent, Candace. Thanks so much, and keep the book review/opinions coming!

Barbara