Sunday, April 11, 2010

Preparations and Ipad update...

So we are preparing for another trip to the coast in a couple of weeks, to have our second appointment at the Epilepsy Center in Charleston. I think it is a safe assumption to make that our choice to go down there has been a great thing! When they wanted to start Faith on a second seizure med. I was sceptical that she would do well. But since January 22, she has only had two brief seizures. So I guess that's proof positive! I am thrilled and actually feel like things are coming back to "normal" a little....but I always keep my guard up, in the background. Now we have another decision to make with what we are going to do with our current neurologist set up. We have our local neurologist, whom I am NOT happy with, and now the new one in Chucktown. I think we could continue to see both because the epilepsy center is a specialty clinic and on the other side of the state but I don't really want to. I would like to just transfer everything down there and just go there for all our treatments. But it's a little risky because it's so far and if we need MRI's, EEG's or anything else....I think we would have to drive down. I think it's the best choice since the team in Charleston genuinely seem to care about what happens to Faith...and in my book that is the most important thing. I was thinking of asking them if they could wrangle tests to be done, here at home. Then that would alleviate all the problems except the long drive.
On to Ipad issues...
We placed our order, yesterday for the Ipad 16BG with wi-fi and 3G along with an SD converter so we can download pictures. I am so excited to get this in Faith's hands, that I can hardly stand it! I have been getting all kinds of emails with links to educations and aug. com apps and I think this thing will be a HUGE help when we start homeschooling in a few months! We have been talking about it a lot to Faith and I think she even recognizes the name now, LOL! When I spoke with the rep at Apple she seemed confident that they would be shipping these out this month. I was kind of worried that they would be back ordered and we would be waiting for a long time. She said that Apple was pretty consistent with release dates and if anything they may push it back a few days or a week. We decided not to get the extended Apple plan that was $99 since it does not cover human error...so we are going to go with a private insurance policy called Square Trade who provides Ipad warranties for just $95 for two years and they cover accidents and manufacturer defects. We felt like it was vital to have some additional protection since Faith likes to chuck things! So now we just have to wait........

6 comments:

The Henrys said...

Great news about the iPad!! I can't wait for pics of Faith using it and to hear updates on how she is doing with it.
About continuing with the doctors that are far away... I think it is a good idea to ask if they can manage it so that any tests she may need can be done closer to home. I have struggled with this decision before, about staying closer to home and settling for so-so care, or driving far away to get excellent care. It is a hard choice, and one that I wonder about when the roads are icy!! How far do you have to travel for them?

April said...

Hooray! Hope you can figure out how to get your testing done close to home!

Jen said...

It would be great if you could get the testing done locally and be under the care of the center at the same time. Hope it works out this way for you:)

Yay on the iPad and good idea for the insurance too. We bought insurance when we bought my son the iTouch, because I know for a fact that sometime over the next three years he WILL break it, it's a given!! I hope they ship on time and you don't have to wait too long:)

Jen

Candace said...

Debbi,
Right now our "close" neuro is an hour and about 15 min and our Good one at the Epilepsy Center is about 4 hours (an all day and night trip). Nothing is close for us in S.C. the closest thing we have is one OT session that is about 25 mins away. Everything else is at least one hour away!

Junior said...

so excited to hear that Faith will be getting her ipad soon.
for your question on Junior using the ipad, he can't manipulate his fingers at all but can push into the screen with his hand. I help him get his hand onto the screen and then he can press. He loves the thing.

Anonymous said...

i wanted to share this, one of the parents in my class shared it with me.


"I wanted to tell you that all ABA apps on iPhone are free for April in case you want to pass that on to other parents."

i googled it and found this, which gives an example of what's included in some of their freebies. i'm sure you can find more apps if you poke around their website
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aba-flash-cards-actions/id342235464?mt=8

i'm not sure if iPhone apps work on the iPad, but, i'm sure you can find that out. :)
hope it helps
heather
ny