Friday, April 16, 2010

Scholarships and a freaky almost accident.....

I am so excited, we finally got the word today, that Faith got her scholarship to continue therapeutic riding! We got approval for six lessons, six more weeks! YES.


A freaky thing happened, at the end of her lesson, today. The group was walking Faith and the horse down into the cross tie area, in the back of the barn.
Over the cross tie area there is a raised walkway that goes into the top of the barn. Some people were delivering equipment, today and were using the ramp to enter the barn. Just as Hannah, the horse, was walking under the bridge way, a worker started dragging a metal chair across. It spooked the horse and she shied backwards in fright. I started running for them in a panic but Caroline, our instructor quickly grabbed Faith by one arm and dragged her off the horse, just in time before she flew off the horse! Faith came flying off that horse by her arm and Caroline just got her away before the horse tried to take off! I thought Faith's arm was going to be dislocated, as quickly as Caroline got hold of her. It scared the daylights out of me! Faith was OK and just seemed to be surprised but it was such a close call, she could have been killed! She didn't cry and we examined her closely but she seemed perfectly fine. I was so thankful that Caroline was there and prepared. She just moved in one quick motion and before the other helpers even knew what happened Faith was on the ground! Shew....it took 5 years off my life!
I know that horseback riding can be risky but the team is well trained and thankfully well prepared. It hasn't scared me from taking her back, but it did frighten me terribly! It was just a fluke accident. Funny thing is, before we started riding I saw a person walking over the bridge dragging some kind of chain and thought "That isn't very smart to have that bridge there when horses are usually underneath." Little did I know!

10 comments:

Mo said...

Oh good Lord...glad that had a happy ending!! 'Shew' is right!

The Henrys said...

I'm so glad that she is okay! What a scare that was. I'm glad that you are brave enough to take her back for more lessons!

Jen said...

wow, that was close!! I hope she gets over the fright and is not upset to go back, and you too:) Jen.

Tara Bennett said...

Oh I'm so glad she gets more lessons! The therapy by our house is a very reasonable price, and they won't let the parents pay for it, they ask us to get a business to sponsor and so far that has been easy to do! People are so supportive :)

I was in a terrible horseback accident when I was younger. My friend who was with me still hobbles because of it. Also another friend of mine, her sister was killed from a horse falling on her. Horses scare me, but they are such beautiful and special animals. We just have to be careful with them, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Thanking God for her guardian angel.

Katy said...

Glad she's OK--sounds like those instructors know their stuff!

Carla said...

I sure hop they gave whoever was dragging a metal chair around horses a stern talking to!!! He should know better, hrumpft!
Glad to hear Faith is ok, thank God for knowledgable instructors.

Lisa said...

Yikes! Glad everything turned out okay- and that it hasn't deterred you from continuing something Faith so obviously LOVES. :)

April said...

Whew!! So glad for the happy ending!! Congrats on the scholarship!!

Beverly said...

great news!